Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari

Healthcare in the UK for international students

Healthcare in the UK for international students

Many international students are entitled to use the National Health Service (NHS). The NHS provides some free healthcare to international students who are living and studying in the UK. However, other NHS treatment may require you to pay. This means you may need medical insurance.

Available free for students on the NHS

These NHS treatments are free for all students:

Treatment in an Accident and Emergency Department or Casualty Department.
Family Planning Services.
Treatment for some Communicable Diseases.
Compulsory Psychiatric Treatment.

Useful Information about Healthcare in the UK

Registering with a doctor (GP)

Registering with a doctor (GP)

When you arrive in Cardiff it is important to register with a doctor (GP). Do not wait until you become ill to register. Celtic English Academy will give you a letter to help you register with a doctor and will suggest which surgery you should go to depending on where you live.

Find Out More

Accidents & Emergencies

If you need urgent medical attention, call 999 for an ambulance. The Accident and Emergency Department in Cardiff is located at the Heath Hospital (UHW) CF14 4XW.

NHS Direct

If you can’t get to see a doctor, you can call the 24 hour NHS Direct number, which operates 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines or mobiles. Call 0845 4647. Soon the service will change to NHS 111, so call 111 when you need medical advice.

Accreditation, Membership & Exam Centre

Translate 🇬🇧