Do you have a spare room? Celtic English Academy is always looking for friendly and welcoming homestay providers to host our international students.
You might be interested in hosting an international student. Did you know that if you let furnished rooms in your home, you can receive up to £7,500 a year tax-free per household through the government’s Rent a Room scheme?
Each year Celtic English Academy welcomes students from over 50 different countries. Hosting an international student is a great way of getting to know more about other countries and cultures. We believe that hosting should be a positive and rewarding intercultural experience for both the student and the host.
We have dedicated homestay co-ordinators who work hard to place our students with the most suitable hosts. They help ensure that the homestay experience is a pleasant and enjoyable one for both the student and the host.
Why should I become a homestay provider?
- You can receive up to £7,500 a year tax-free per household through the government’s Rent a Room scheme.
- You can enjoy an intercultural experience. Share the British culture with an international student and learn about their culture at the same time.
- Become a part of the Celtic community of homestay providers across the Cardiff and Penarth area.
What do I need to provide?
The basics that you need to provide are:
- A private furnished bedroom
- A desk and chair for the student to study at
- A safe and welcoming environment
- An annual Gas Safety Check
You will also need to make sure that your home complies with any other Health and Safety requirements and to complete all the required paperwork. Our homestays coordinators will be able to advise you about this.
How do I apply to become a homestay provider?
- If you would like to apply to be a homestay provider, you will need to complete and return our application form and all relevant paperwork.
- We will follow up applications with a visit to your home to introduce ourselves. This will also be an opportunity for us to answer any questions that you may have about the homestay experience.
- We will also check that your home meets the standards for hosting an international student.
- Celtic English Academy is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of all its students and will conduct relevant checks which such as DBS checks.
- We will support you by providing training which you are required to take part in before hosting.
Please read our Homestay Guidelines and our Homestay Guidelines for under 18s before making an application. The guidelines contain lots of important information about what you can expect to gain from hosting.
If you have any questions at all, please contact one of our Accommodation Officers.
Marcela: [email protected]
Barry: [email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0) 2920 344805